Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Election Fever

Is there a name for what happens to people during an election year? Is there a medically recognized condition, disease, syndrome, disorder or similar affliction that people can acquire during this season that I should have a little more compassion for? Because my news feed on Facebook leads me to believe that in the last few months, some virulent contagion has overtaken half of my friends and family, transforming them into people I don't recognize anymore. Is this an epidemic? Do I need to purchase one of these:


Hell, I might purchase one anyway. You never know when you're going to have to enrich some uranium.

Unfortunately, I think it's too late for me. I am already symptomatic. In the last  six months, I've initiated three political Facebook fights. The first one was over contraception, and it lasted two days. The result? Neither one of us budged on our position and I lost a lot of sleep. When it was over, I vowed never to engage in another pointless Facebook argument again. Then one of my friends posted this:



Come on! I'm supposed to just walk away from a post like that? I should have, though. This fight ended about as well as the last one did.

Months passed. I thought I had finally learned my lesson. There were a few times I drafted a response to an outrageous political post, but then I came to my senses and refrained from commenting. But today I stepped in it again. A friend posted a video that I found utterly reprehensible. If you want to watch it, go to stolenhistory.org and click on the video entitled "Revealing the Truth About the Democratic Party."

I thought my response was brilliant, if I do say so myself. Point, set, match. But who cares? I went rounds with a lady in my ward at church who I consider to be a friend, and now it's going to be all sorts of awkward when I see her on Sunday. Great job, Randi. Congratulations on your...victory?

What is it about politics that makes us go temporarily insane? Because during non-election years, I certainly don't give it much thought. And what is it about politics that inspires such (I was about to say "near-religous" but I think it passed religious a long time ago) fanatic zeal? I have never seen anyone promote the gospel with the fervor I see them promoting their political viewpoints, and I include myself in that observation.

I refuse to post anything political on Facebook. So why, then, do I feel the all-consuming need to respond to the political posts of others? Why can't I just let it go and move on with my life? Has any good ever come from stirring the pot? 

A thought from Elder Quentin L. Cook:

"There are some who feel that venting their personal anger or deeply held opinions is more important than conducting themselves as Jesus Christ lived and taught. … How we disagree is a real measure of who we are and whether we truly follow the Savior. It is appropriate to disagree, but it is not appropriate to be disagreeable. … If we show love and respect even in adverse circumstances, we become more like Christ.”
I need to get that tattooed on my fingers.
Ugh. November 7th can NOT get here fast enough. 

4 comments:

Camie said...

What I wouldn't give to sit in a room and listen to you debate :) A few more weeks and it will all go away for another four years. Good luck.

Brandon and Aubrey said...

One of the greatest lessons I learned in my life I learned while living with you... "I respect your opinion but..." I loved talking to you about your opinions because I always knew that you (as I did you) truly did respect my opinion. The motivation to our discussions were always to understand why the other believed the way they did, what motivated their belief, and to have a pleasant conversation between friends regardless if we agreed or not. Good times!

Randi said...

Oh, Aubs and Camie! I love you girls. Miss you terribly, too! We need to plan a reunion one of these days!

Sylvia said...

"You never know when you're going to have to enrich some uranium"--and that is one of the many reasons I love reading your posts.

I have to admit that I'm burning with curiosity to read your defense, and I agree with Camie--what I wouldn't give to watch you in action. But I also understand the "debater's remorse" concept. Even "winning" isn't satisfying since, as you point out, it always has repercussions. Sigh.