Sunday, September 14, 2008

Boston Reunion 2008 (Part One: The Food)

So last week I returned from my much-anticipated trip to Boston. The old gang came from the four corners of the earth for a Boston Friends Reunion, and I can't find the words to express how excited I was to see everyone again. That being said, there was another reunion that I was looking forward to almost as much. Strike that. Reverse it. This one was WAAAAY more satisfying--my Boston Food Reunion.

Here are a few moments from this frequently emotional reconnection:

It started off on day one with a trip to Parrish Cafe, 361 Boylston Street, for the best sandwich on earth: The Zuni Roll. "Smoked turkey breast, crisp bacon, chopped scallions, dill havarti cheese, and cranberry-chipotle sauce wrapped in a flour tortilla." Behold! The Zuni Roll:



It may not look like much on film, but DAMN! That's a good sandwich.

Then it was on to 112 Salem Street to eat at La Famiglia Giorgio, my favorite restaurant in the North End. Here in Seattle, I often reminisce with Carrie, Shanon, and Sara (who lived in Boston for a while) about La Famiglia. Whenever we go out for Italian food, Shanon always orders chicken parm, somebody else will get gnocchi, and then afterwards we are all bummed that it wasn't as good as La Famiglia. So just to make sure that my memory was still in tact and that my passion was justified, I ordered the gnocchi. Sigh. Even better than I remembered.



And what trip to the North End doesn't end at 300 Hanover Street, otherwise known as Mike's Pastry? Local Bostonians hate this place, but they can all kiss my ass because it's awesome! Oh sure, their cakes are totally made from a mix, and their pastry cream is essentially Jello instant pudding, but there is a reason that the Freedom Trail passes directly in front of Mike's door. I suspect that part of that reason is mob-related. There's a picture on the wall of the owners with President Clinton at a White House dinner. How often do bakery owners get invited to the White House? Plus, just look around. Lotsa dudes with pinky rings. I'm just sayin...

Another thing I'm just sayin' is that I can't get enough of their cannoli. In fact, I went back the next day for cannoli #2:



And here's another North End institution: Pizzeria Regina at 11 Thacher Street.



Then it was off to the Red Sox/Yankees game at Yankee Stadium. I will totally dump on Yankee Stadium in an upcoming post, but for right now I'll just dump on the food. I started the day with a Nathan's Jumbo Hot Dog:



I'm sorry, but back here at Safeco Field, that is what's known as a "Minor League Dog." Nice try, Nathan, but you're about 3 inches short of "Jumbo."

Scott got us some very sketchy chili cheese nachos:



The "cheez" was ICE COLD, by the way. Not lukewarm. Not even cool. ICE COLD. Through sheer grit and determination, we managed to eat every last nacho. Tim was horrified, but dang! Those nasty nachos weren't cheap! At least you can't mess up a classic:



Then it was on to 307 Somerville Avenue, home of Machu Picchu, one of our favorite restaurants. It's a little Peruvian joint in our old 'hood. The specialidad de la casa is a little dish called lomo saltado:



Meat and potatoes have never tasted so good. Seriously, people, this dish alone is worth a trip to Boston. We were happy to see that our little restaurante Machu Picchu had been so successful, they opened another location almost directly across the street. I don't know how smart that was. Now they're competing with themselves. But hey--maybe they're THAT busy. I wish them the best of luck.

Next up: 4 Yawkey Way. Fenway Park, that is! Home of the Fenway Frank:



Not the best picture, and let's be honest, it's a freaking hot dog. But when you're sitting in the cutest damn ballpark in the U.S., it is magically transformed into the best hot dog you've ever had. And those weird New England-style buns. I don't understand them, but I just know they're something special.

And who can forget The Brown Sugar Cafe, at 1033 Commonwealth Avenue? I always order the same thing here. Sometimes I think I should try something else on the menu, but all roads seem to lead me back to Mango Curry:



And then ginger (or coconut) ice cream with sweet sticky rice:



You don't even KNOW how good that last dessert is.

Then we went to The Cape and had some clam chowder, de rigueur.



Another must-eat: the lobster roll.



I wasn't too hungry the night I ordered the lobster roll. I actually shared it with everybody at the table. Looking back on it now, what an idiot I was! I should have soldiered up and stuffed that thing down my freaking throat because when am I going to eat another lobster roll? It was a really good one, too. Tons of meat, perfectly seasoned...yeah. Big mistake.

Part of the reason I couldn't finish the lobster roll is because I had consumed a large Dunkin' Donuts hot chocolate just a few minutes before:



I can't say I entirely regret the hot chocolate, though. It's my fave. I had about 30 of them during my two week vacation. I didn't care that it was August. I went online to see if I could find a Dunkin' Donuts in Seattle. Search results: I ain't gonna be dunkin' no donuts anytime soon.

OK, now we're to the part that really gets me choked up. After a perfect day of swimming in Walden Pond, we went to Kimball Farms, 343 Bedford Road, and had a little bit of ice cream:



Guess how much that ice cream cost? Like, three bucks. That's why when I go to Cold Stone and I have to pay $5 for a tiny litte scoop of ice cream with oreos in it, I kind of lose my mind for a second. The poor 16 year-old kid working the counter. I'm practically screaming, "Five dollars? FIVE DOLLARS? Why, I know this little place near Concord, Mass that would give me TEN TIMES this much ice cream for HALF as much money!" The kid is like, "Lady, one more time. That'll be five bucks." But it's an OUTRAGE! AREN'T YOU OUTRAGED??? ANYONE?

Needless to say, I ate a lot while I was in Boston. I needed another week to eat everything I wanted to eat. Some people worry about having enough time to do what they want to do. I worry about having enough time to eat what I want to eat. Mr. Bartley's in Harvard Square...The Elephant Walk...Anna's Taqueria...

But now it's over, and it's time to sew those busted buttons back on.



Anyway, it was a wonderful trip. Stay tuned for another post about other things that made it so wonderful.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like tasty.

Jeni said...

Randi, I miss you so much it ain't funny. When the west coast drops off into the ocean, how about you move to wherever I am, whadda ya say? ANd I love that you dedicated an entire blog post to nothing but the food. I noticed you left out the exhorabently overpriced not great fish and chips we had in Provincetown. Yeah, it if weren't for the company, that would be a wasted hour of our lives. What a disapointing meal. Can't wait to see the rest of your pics and hear your stories. Love you lots and miss you too.

Kam said...

Why did I leave your side for even one SECOND while we were out there? Look at all I missed -- Machu Pichu! Brown Sugar! And my pathetic immitation of what I THOUGHT was Dunkin' Donuts... how could I mess that one up? Arrrg! Great shots of the food... I especially love the chowda shot and the Lobster roll.

Becky W. said...

Looking at all these pictures of food, I am immediately drawn to the sweets. Ice-cream, cannoli, sweet sticky rice! I'm going in search of them. I must eat them. Thanks for the addresses.

Bekah said...

Stop making me homesick! I love my family, but sometimes what I really miss is the food...

Scott B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
k.e.l.l.i.e. said...

dill havarti?! did i hear that right? thats my favorite spice and my 3rd favorite cheese together in the same place! mmm... sounds yummy!

k.e.l.l.i.e. said...

seriously. lets make those. i am hungry for that. and only that.
~Kellie

Julie Siegel said...

Um, yeah. So I have no Boston input as I have never been there but I just wanted to tell you that I'm so totally blogstalking you now that I found yours from Kellie's. So get used to the idea of me snooping around in your life. You may do the same to me if you can stay awake during my posts, I evidently lead a very dull life...

Alicia said...

This post was AWESOME, except the part where you said the food was more satisfying than being with all of your dearest Boston friends. It was hilarious. You really should be writing a column somewhere. I loved the re-cap of food and to see how you put together all of those pictures that I kept seeing you take of your food. It made me want to get back to Boston as soon as possible and eat out some more. DELICIOUS!! I loved the lomo, loved Kimball Farms, loved clam chowda, loved getting a taste of that lobster roll and I only wish I could have shared a bite of my Anna's burrito. Then your trip could have been complete. Love you! Even if your buttons are popping off.

Anonymous said...

Hey Randi---Kam's mom here---What a HILARIOUS POST!! I, TOO, agree that you should certainly be writing a syndicated Column somewhere!! More people need to be aware of (and exposed to) your fantastic HUMOR!!! I LOVE IT!!

I sat here all by myself on this Sunday afternoon two months after you originally posted this write-up---laughing out loud and totally AGREEING with you about the various "emotional attachments" you have for certain foods! I LOVE your way of expressing your feelings!! I think Boston is a Fascinating city, and I'm SO GLAD you guys all had the opportunity of getting back together there. Do it again in four years!!
Love, Karen (p.s.--I also love SEATTLE, where you are NOW!! Do they still have Dag's Burgers there???) :)