Thursday, February 9, 2012

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year...

No, not Christmas--Oscar season!

I know you have all been waiting on pins and needles for my yearly Oscar predictions. You've been so patient. Here they are, faithful readers!

Best Picture: Gotta be The Artist. Everybody is a-twitter about the whole silent movie thing, and although it didn't exactly blow my mind, it was a very sweet, charming, unique, and definitely daring film--daring in the sense that in the era of CGI this, 3-D that, somebody had the cojones to make a film that gave all that mess the middle finger. I wish it would be Moneyball or The Help, but I'm putting my money on The Artist. If it's The Descendants, I will never watch the Oscars again.

Best Actor: Again, I think it's Jean Dujardin for The Artist, but I wish it were Brad Pitt. How long will the Academy insist on snubbing Brad?

Best Actress: Meryl!!! I would be happy with any actress nominated in this category because they all gave incredible performances, but Meryl is INARGUABLY the best actress alive. Seventeen nominations and only 2 wins, the last of which was in 1982? That is some serious horsesh*t, and it ends NOW. For the record, her movie was crap. But her performance? I think I heard angels singing softly in the distance.

Best Supporting Actor: In my nightly prayers, I ask The Good Lord to give Jonah Hill the win this year, but I know my prayer is in vain. It's going to Captain von Trapp for The Beginners as penance for not giving him the Oscar when he truly deserved it for The Last Station. I guess I'm OK with it. The man is 82 years old, has an acting career that spans seven decades, and doesn't have an Oscar to show for it. Give the Cap'n an Oscar before he dies, for crying out loud!

Best Supporting Actress: Probably Octavia Spencer for The Help because she was amazing and totally deserves it, but also because The Artist is winning both Best Picture and Best Actor so they can't really give it to Berenice Bejo. I mean, it ain't Titanic, people. There are limits to how many Oscars the movie can win, and I draw the line at Best Supporting Actress.

And that's how it's going to shake down, dear readers! I'll be back in a couple of weeks to gloat.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

I hate to admit this to you . . . but I've never seen any of the movies you mentioned. Even though I don't know movies, etc. as well as you though, I'm always excited to see what you have to say about them. Can't wait to see if your predictions come true.

Randi said...

Alicia--don't sweat it. Most of them aren't worth your time. EXCEPT for Moneyball. I think you and Scott would LOVE it. It's hilarious, has a lot of heart, and is super interesting! Please please please see it, and then let me know what you thought! If you hate it, I will never recommend another movie again.

Hugs!

P.S. Have that baby, why don't you?

Melenie said...

I can't believe you predicted all of these.

That's just crazy.

And I felt the same way about "The Descendants." That movie was so bad. SO bad.

I was really hoping that "Drive" would take Best Picture....oh, wait, that's right....it wasn't freaking nominated!! #lame

Melenie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.