Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bro

That's what my mother always called my dad. Everyone, including myself, always found it hilarious because would you ever picture this woman using such urban vernacular?


I didn't think so.

I wonder if that will be the first word he hears when he passes to The Other Side and is greeted by my mother's perennially smiling face. It is breaking my heart to tell you this, dear readers, but I am afraid that moment may be upon us.

Last week my dad had his third stroke. The first two caused some vision loss and some general mental cloudiness, but the most recent one claimed his speech and his ability to swallow. The first five days in the hospital were absolute torture, for him and for us. He tried to speak, but he just couldn't produce any sounds that made sense. Once I leaned over and jokingly asked him, "Are you in there, Rex?" A sly grin spread slowly across his face, and I knew he was desperately trying to crack a joke. "Doubtful," would have been his probable response. Or perhaps, "That's not the first time I've been asked that question."

While his speech deficit frustrated him, his inability to swallow scared the hell out of us. What were we going to do? Buy a few more days with an NG tube? Give him a permanent feeding tube? We knew he definitely didn't want that. Bring him home and watch him starve to death? The options were all unpleasant, to say the least. Then, last Saturday, he started to swallow. It looked like good ol' Rex had cheated death once again.

He left the hospital a couple of days ago and entered a short-term rehab facility to regain some strength before we brought him back home. That was our hope anyway, but things have taken a turn for the worse. He spends most of his days sleeping, and he has no appetite at meal times. We are lucky if we can get him to take five bites of anything. My sisters visited him tonight, and they said they weren't sure if he was even aware of their presence. The doctor at the rehab center talked to my sisters tonight about providing Rex with what he called "comfort care" instead of rehabilitation. I think you and I both know what that means.

So tomorrow I will take my father's white temple jacket to the dry cleaner, and I will buy him a fresh new pair of garments. I will spend hours looking through all of our family photo albums, culling the nicest pictures to display at the funeral. Most importantly, I will visit my dad and hold his hand while I still can. I will tell him to say hello to mom and a few other family members I have never met but have grown to love through doing family history work. I will ask him to put in a good word for me when he gets to The Other Side. I will tell him how much I love him, and that it has been a privilege to be his child. And finally I will tell him that taking care of him these last few months was no burden. It was the most precious and sacred experience of my life.







19 comments:

Oliver said...

We are praying for you.

Alicia said...

Oh, my dear Randi. I am up in the middle of the night, in the dark, just hurting for you. I am so sorry. Sorry that his time might be near and all the sadness that will cause you as you miss him. I can't help but be happy for him as well. To be rid of this body that is causing him so much trouble now and to be playing card games with your mom again. Do you think they have card games there? I know this will be really hard for you. My prayers and thoughts will be with you as you take care of everything like you have been the past few years. You are absolutely an amazing daughter. It has been incredible to watch the love you have shown your parents while you care for them. I love you. I'm sure you will be comforted and blessed. Take care. We'll call you to check in.

turleybenson said...

Oh Randi. I don't know if it is a comfort at all, but know that I am crying with you. What an experience to have had to (and been privileged to) watch both your parents get to the point of dying. I am happy for him and your mom and so sad for you. This was a beautiful tribute to your love for your awesome dad. Love you Randikins.

k.e.l.l.i.e. said...

Hey Girlie, I am so sorry. I know that it is what is best but it will still hurt for you. Let me know if you need ANYTHING. Prayers for you and your family.

lilsusha said...

Dearest Randalina,
I am so sorry. I KNOW what you are experiencing. I cry as I write this, feeling your pain. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Peace and love my friend. Peace and love. That's all we take with us anyway. ((hugs))

Bowman

Timo said...

Oh Randi, every parent should be treated with the kindness and love you have given your mom and dad. What a tribute of your love for them. We will be praying for you during this time.

Kelly said...

I am so sorry, Randi. You are such an example to me of what a daughter should be, and I know your parents are so grateful for all you have done for them. You are amazing. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this loss. Hugs and love to you.

Juliebug1976 said...

Randi,

Please know that I love you like crazy and you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know what I can do to help you.

xoxo,
julie

Brandon and Aubrey said...

Ol' Fritzy-boy has been truly blessed to have you by his side through the last couple of years. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Camie said...

Your dad is the luckiest man. To have you for a daughter has probably been one of his richest blessings. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Lots of love!

Tamlynn said...

Randi, I don't know what to say, but know that you are in my prayers. I'm sorry you and your family are going through this difficult time.

Sylvia said...

Randi, I'm so sorry. You and your dad will be in my thoughts and prayers. And I echo what Timo and Camie said: Your dad is incredibly lucky to have a daughter like you who has taken care of him so lovingly.

Bekah said...

Randi,
It has been my privilege to see some of the tender care that you have been providing for your dad. I wish I could offer more than long-distance hugs and prayers during this difficult time. Love you!

Meridith said...

You're in my prayers, Randi

Rob Dempsey said...

Randi, my friend.
All I can say is, DANG! I miss going fishing and listening to your dad "tell me a story". But it is only for a short moment until the grand reunion. I consider your dad as one of my best friends and cherish the memories of experiences shared over the past 20 years (wow! has it been that long?).
I sometimes will ask my mom, "Are you there?" and every once in a while there is a smile. But my mom isn't here much anymore and as I contemplate life on earth without her, it makes me realize that I am moving up a generation and becoming "an old fart" myself (yes, that one slipped out). I pray that I will be as wonderful at it as your dad is! We are mindful of you, Randi. Rex will be ok, and we'll do our darndest to be here for you! I wish I was more eloquent, but as Debbie often says of my words, "that was unedited!". :)
Your friend for life,
Rob

Jeni said...

I typed out this great, long comment on my phone then deleted it all. Curses. The long and short of it was I love you, and I know you have laid up some great blessings for the selfless way you have cared for your parents these past years. I am looking forward to a reunion in Utah soon. I love you.

Melenie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melenie said...



That is all.

Kam said...

I've been thinking of you all week, sweet Randilicious. I'm so sad to read this, and to think of all you and your sisters must be going through right now. What sweet pictures of you and your dad. He is such an amazing man, and you are his daughter -- a privilege. Wish I could be there to give hugs and hold your hand and cry with you. Sending so many prayers. Love,
Kamboni